[CT Birds] Smith's Point rules

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Tue Dec 3 12:47:33 EST 2013

Hi All,

Just a quick reminder about Smith's Point, one of the area's the Snowy Owls have been frequenting. It is the big vegetation-covered spit that hooks into the marsh near the Housatonic River. It is west of our Connecticut Audubon Sanctuary and the last house on the private road. It is Federal land owned by the USFWS (US Fish & Wildlife Service) . The top of the point is off-limits year-round. Please stay below the high tide line and do not go on top of spit to view the owl. USFWS would like everyone to stay on the marsh side and off the Sound side, even below the high tide line. To access the point, you can go out on the Sound side from our Center, and turn right (west); stay below the high tide and continue past the last house. Take a trail to the right (before you reach the USFWS signs) at the base of the spit to reach the marsh side. USFWS is doing habitat restoration work on the spit and need the Sound side and top area to remain undisturbed. Sunday, I saw a couple of birders wandering around on top from the Stratford side, and it's important that others, unknowingly not do the same. Please pass the word along.

Also, the owls often sit on the Jetty near the last house, but fly to the point when disturbed. If the owl gets twitchy or flies, it's been approached too closely, and caused unneeded stress. It is hunting season, and there are hunters in the marsh, as well, so take precautions. Wearing orange this time of year is recommended.

Frank

Life is short. Bird often.