[CT Birds] Long Island Sound Bird Count 12/3

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 3 20:13:55 EST 2013

12/3 - Long Island Sound Bird Count in CT & NY Waters - Tom Robben & I conducted a bird count by boat from Milford, CT to off Sands Point, L.I., NY. This was the second voyage of this project, and the first to this area of the Sound. Weather was ideal: some sun filtered through clouds (bright overcast), mild (35-48F), fairly calm (N at 3-8 mph). Highlights were large numbers of Common & Red-throated Loons, large numbers of Surf & White-winged Scoters (especially off Nassau Cty.), 3 Razorbills (CT) , 8 Northern Gannets, 1 Common Eider (off Stratford Point), 6 Bonaparte's Gulls, and a Snowy Owl (breakwater off Stratford Pt.). Also saw 2 Harbor Seals.

The full eBird list can be seen here:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15844154

Birders along the CT and NY shorelines of Long Island Sound are encouraged to "share" their eBird lists with: "LIS BirdCount".

Frank Mantlik
Stratford