[CT Birds] Snowy Owl thoughts (photography related)

Joseph Cala Joejr14 at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 19:30:47 EST 2013

All-

I was reading all of the Snowy Owl comments today on lunch but was
unable to type a response as I'm not able to access my personal email at
work--and there was simply too much I wanted to type to try and do that
on my phone.  I have to admit that I've been a little frustrated lately
with some of the posts--or more specifically how they're coming across
to me.

I certainly do not want to create some long winded birder vs
photographer debate here, as that will solve nothing and only create
more argument---however I do get frustrated when I read comments that
imply (or come right out and say) that these birds are mainly being
spooked by photographers.  As many of you have probably figured out from
my posts I consider myself photographer first, birder second--I'm the
idiot you see out at Milford Point or Sandy Point in August/September
crawling around in wet sand to try and get those up close shorebirds
shots.  I manage to get up close shots of many birds because of how I
act--the approach specifically, but also because I think it's pretty
easy to read how any animal reacts. Whether strictly birding, or out
taking pictures, it's common sense to back off when your subject shows
signs of distress--and the vast majority of folks do that.  I want to
point out that there are of course idiots in all groups--birders and
photographers alike that can make the rest of us look bad.  That being
said, it *IS* possible to get close to birds (Snowy Owls included)
without stressing, agitating, or spooking the birds.

There was a post about the Snowy Owl at Hammo that was 'spooked' by
photographers--well I'm not sure what day this supposedly happened, but
I was down there Monday photographing the bird from the beach and I can
tell you that the bird appeared to be totally unfazed by the 10 or so
folks that were photographing/scoping the bird.  I was able to
photograph and observe the bird on the jetty for 15 minutes before it
flew away---not from a photographer--but because of harassment from a
pair of gulls.  The Snowy Owl at Seaside Park was assumed to be flushed
by a photographer--but why?  A photographer in the area doesn't
necessarily mean that they spooked a bird.  I think Sophie's quote is
fantastic: "If we respect the personal space of wildlife we can
eventually get an image or sighting. If we don't we often get the tail
end leaving and that defeats the purpose!"

I hesitated to post this, but I was able to photograph the Snowy Owl
that I found Tuesday morning at Milford Point with very close views--and
the bird again seemed totally unfazed.  I crawled to acceptable
photographic range (or what I consider to be acceptable range) and took
about 50 shots in exactly 4 minutes.  During that time the bird spent
probably 2 minutes looking around the marsh (scoping out a pair of
harriers) and with it's back to me.  Of course I can anticipate the "you
don't know if it was fazed" comments--and to that I'd suggest that any
animal that is disturbed or feeling threatened doesn't turn it's back to
you for 30 seconds at a time, or remain on the same exact perch during
approach, during photography, during retreat, or for an additional hour
and a half after I left.  I feel it's also worth mentioning that most of
these Owls are presumably young birds who in many instances have never
seen a human before---and are inherently unfazed by onlookers.  This
theory holds true with many Great Gray Owls from up north, especially
during irruption years.  Anyone who photographed the Pine Grosbeaks last
year in Simsbury can attest to this--the day I was there the birds were
coming to close to my setup (within feet) that I had to frequently back up.

I apologize for the long winded response, but I would encourage everyone
to refrain from the 'blame game' when it comes to this in general, but
specifically with the Snowy Owls--as it appears there will only be more
of them this winter.  If you see someone acting stupid, by all means,
educate the person when appropriate--whether that be birder or
photographer.  However please also keep in mind that a view you find
acceptable, such as a Snowy Owl from 50 yards, someone else might not
consider acceptable.  This does not mean that the person wanting a 10
yard view is wrong--they simply have a different opinion.  If at the end
of the day, that person does the bird no harm....I say no foul.  I'll
end my diatribe with a quote from the ABA website... "1(b) To avoid
stressing birds or exposing them to danger, exercise restraint and
caution during observation, photography, sound recording, or filming."