[CT Birds] Snowy Owl discussion

Kevin Burgio kevin.burgio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 20:41:15 EST 2013

All,

In preparing for my Ph.D. qualifying exam, I have been reading a great deal
on the subject of human-caused stress responses in birds, and want to add
some of the things that I have learned to this discussion. I'll be brief.
 I'll also preface this by saying that I do not have any answers /
suggestions about what should be done.  I just thought that some of you,
reading about this subject in interest, would like to know a little about
the research done on this topic.

1. Birds may not change their outward behavior but can be stressed in the
presence of humans, demonstrated by increased heart rate, and etc.
(Weimerskirch et al. 2002).
2. Birds that are used to human presence, as well as their offspring, have
lower stress hormone responses to subsequent human presence (Walker et al.
2005)
3. Birds on starvation diets already have elevated levels of stress
hormones in their body, which not only has short-term effects (both
positive and negative), but in the case of young birds, increased levels of
stress hormones, while young, can negatively impact their life-long
development, learning ability, foraging capacity, and life-long fitness
(Walker et al. 2005, Bertram and Hanson 2002).

If anyone is interested in reading the primary literature I cited here, I
will be happy to send the PDFs your way.  I hope you all found this helpful.

Best,
Kevin Burgio
Hamden

--