[CT Birds] Snowy Owl condition

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Dec 7 13:37:06 EST 2013

Hi All,

Interesting stuff from Chris about the state of the Snowy Owls that we see in migration - thanks for that. I had always heard that the birds we see locally were starving and highly stressed but wondered on what basis we were drawing those conclusions. The only thing I can add to the information that Chris has provided is that whilst working at Braddock Bay Raptor Research, I was lucky enough to spend time with a bander who has probably held nearly as many Snowy Owls in his hands as anyone else on the planet and his data suggest that these birds are mainly in pretty good shape. He has already banded numbers of birds this year and I asked him whether there seems to be any difference in the birds' condition, with it being seemingly such a major irruption, but haven't heard anything back yet (I think he's being kept pretty busy!).

Luke Tiller, Altadena CA