[CT Birds] Crane and geese

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 7 15:51:16 EST 2013

>From Jamie Meyers and Jay Kaplan:
12/7 -- Manchester, residence at the corner of Deming Street and Shares Road -- SANDHILL CRANE happily chomping on worms in this yard on a very busy street.
Somers, corner of Four Bridges Road and Hurlburt Road -- BARNACLE GOOSE and 2 SNOW GEESE with thousands of Canadas.

I noted Phil Aspirelli's report from noon or so of the Barnacle. I think he had it in a different place than here. It's a huge field and there lots of geese, the Barnacle being way off in the back and perhaps not viewable without a scope. The Snow Geese were at the far south end of the flock and were both bright adults. We did not see any uncommon geese at Broad Brook pond in East Windsor but the numbers of Canadas there were impressive. The flock, particularly near the back by the phrags, was so dense that it is not impossible that we overlooked a White-front or something. There are huge numbers of geese in the CT river valley right now.

The crane being where it is -- inexplicable. That's about all I can say about that. Oh, that particular intersection is in the town of Manchester, just barely. Of course I checked that carefully.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT