[CT Birds] Correct Link to photos : Gull - Nelson's / Herring x Glaucous ??

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Mon Dec 2 11:11:15 EST 2013

Correct link is:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/nagulls/

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna Caporaso <donnacap at aol.com>
To: ctbirds <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Sent: Mon, Dec 2, 2013 11:07 am
Subject: Gull - Nelson's / Herring x Glaucous ??

This morning at the Birdseye Boat Ramp in Stratford 7: - 7:50 a.m.

Looking for ID from members of the Gulls of North American page these are the Comments:

Sweet! "Nelson's" Gull. I think the orignal Nelson's were actually Vega X Glaucous, but we've co-opted the name for Smith X Glaucous with "Viking" Gull for the Argentatus X Glaucous.

Lovely bird. A Herring X Glaucous I presume. One expects checkering in the 1st cycle. This would be older than that. The top picture shows the "bleeding" of black on the bill, which some folks here in Oregon consider a good indicator of hybrid status. Otherwise, might this be a leucistic Herring? I'm not claiming any expertise.

You can few photos on Facebook, sitting and in flight.

Or I will try and email this afternoon in between working.  Cloudy morning but bird was beautiful off white and tans.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT