[CT Birds] Nelson's Gull

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Mon Dec 2 19:49:39 EST 2013

Photos from both this morning and from lunch time were posted on North American Gulls facebook page.  It''s a page of expert Gullers/birders from all over the world and quite educational and fun to browse (if you like Gulls :) .  So far the Herring x Glaucous has been mentioned older than 1st cycle because of lack of checkering as well as a possible Slaty-Backed.  The argument for Slaty from a Martin Reid who has referenced several websites.  While another poster, Jan Jörgensen ,  commented on the wing length of SBG's in which Mr. Reid referred him to http://www23.tok2.com/home/jgull/080306/slaty.htm citing the 8th and last birds as comparisons to my bird.  A few others have commented as well so far and I expect more tonight when those in other countries and on the West Coast view the posts.

The copy from the posts is rather long to post here but if you are on Facebook you can join the page to see what has been discussed thus far (you can always leave the group later).

When looking at photos of both SBGUs and Herring x Glaucous I can find photos of each that match this bird so we'll have to see.  Or, he may be another Mr. Long Beach like the bird last year and be unresolved. :(

I will get the morning photos into the public album I posted this afternoon if anyone wants to look at time.  I should have that done by 9.  The link for the public album is: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152036733757439.1073742016.726347438&type=1&l=a39d6d5e88

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT

Message: 5