[CT Birds] Milford Point Clean-up Dec. 7th

Folsom-O'Keefe, Corrie cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org
Tue Dec 3 09:53:00 EST 2013

Milford Point Beach Clean-Up
Saturday, December 7th, 9:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.

You can help restore this vital habitat area before next spring's nesting season.  Join this year-end volunteer effort to clean up Milford Point.  Super Storm Sandy debris remains scattered across Milford Point's Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge.  Scouts, birders and other volunteers are needed for a few hours on Saturday, December 7th, 2013.

Wildlife Biologist Kristina Vagos and other National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) staff will be sharing insights about the wildlife and their habitat needs on this nationally recognized 23 acre Important Bird Area site.  Lend a hand with other volunteers to load storm debris onto an ATV for disposal by Milford Public Works.  It has been over a year since Super Storm Sandy devastated our Milford coastline.  We need your help to restore the scenic beauty of this vital piping plover, tern, and oystercatcher nesting area.

Parking: Limited Parking is available at the Connecticut Audubon Society's Coastal Center at Milford Point, 1 Milford Point Road, Milford, CT.   Volunteers are asked to car pool with family and friends from the Walnut Beach parking area.

Registration: All people participating will need to register and sign a liability waiver.  Registration will begin at 9 a.m. in front of the Audubon Society's Coastal Center.
Dress for the weather and bring warm work gloves.  We hope you can join us for even a few hours on Saturday, December 7th, 2013 (RAIN DATE December 8th).

This event is made possible by support from the NWR staff, Milford Scouts, Milford Public Works, Audubon Coastal Center, New Haven Bird Club, CT Surfrider and you.  Working together, Milford's volunteer spirit can make a difference for one of the finest wildlife viewing areas in Connecticut.

For more information contact Steve Johnson, stevenjohnson at ci.milford.ct.us

Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe

IBA Program Coordinator
Audubon Connecticut