[CT Birds] FT Flycatcher and other local goodies

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Tue Dec 3 18:50:28 EST 2013

Linda Vegliante and I enjoyed seeing the FT Flycatcher around noon today, and then on our way back to East Lyme stopped by Nehantic SF in Lyme to see what was around in Uncas Pond, no birds at all.  However, in Hamburg Cove earlier we had 2 m. Hooded Mergs and 3 f. Common Mergansers.

On Elys Ferry Rd we had 2 Bluebirds and 1 RS Hawk.

On my way to a late afternoon appointment in E. Lyme I stopped off very briefly at Rocky Neck SP to see if perhaps there was a Snowy Owl hanging around.   No such luck, but I did find the following on the ocean side of RN:

1 RT Loon
7 C. Loons
2 Horned Grebes
2 Surf Scoters f.

In the parking lot's ever expanding brush dump, still a good assortment of sparrows: 1 Swamp Sparrow, several WT Sparrows, 1 Savannah Sparrow, and many Song Sparrows.  Also a couple of Juncos.

18 Hooded Mergs in the marsh and 3 GB Herons.

Not bad for less than 40 min of birding!  But no owl! :(

Carolyn Cimino

Sent from my iPad