[CT Birds] Fork-tailed FC at 4:40pm

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 4 17:01:13 EST 2013

From Dan Rottino and Family:
12/4/13 -- Lyme, Hadlyme Ferry Slip - 4:40pm.  The bird was seen along the ledge in the vine tangles.  It flew close to the parking area several times.  12 other birders were here from 4:15 to 4:40.  Also a bat (eating insects presumably).

I estimate that over 100 people per day are coming.  Like the snowy owls, we should give this bird the space it needs to find food.  If there is a large group of people, it would be better to stay near the parking area.  When groups of people stay just past the info sign in the grass by the river they have gotten excellent views of the bird by the ledge.  Like any other bird, if people spread out and crowd the area, then the bird is pushed away and hides out of sight for longer periods of time.  I have watched this bird everyday since Sunday and it is usually easy to see, with some intermittent periods of 15-30 mins before it returns.  A little patience is needed.  If it stays through the weekend I am hoping that crowds do not overwhelm it.

Dan Rottino
East Haddam