[CT Birds] Pied-billed Grebe in New Haven

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Dec 6 11:22:55 EST 2013

Passing this along.

 From Lauren Brown
I would like to report recent sightings of a Pied-billed Grebe on the
West River in New Haven, behind New Haven Adult Education and the Riverside Academy, a compound of buildings at 580 Ella T. Grasso Boulevard.  The bird is
there some days and not others, so there's no guarantee, but you might
also see some hooded mergansers too, and maybe some gadwall.  This has been a very interesting spot for me.  There are almost always
Mallards, Mute Swans and/or  Canada Geese, but among them I have seen a
Yellow-crowned Night Heron for a whole summer, an American Coot for four months, Least Terns feeding in the summer, and once, a Common Snipe.
This fall, however, the spot suddenly became almost barren, with hardly
even the usual crowd of ducks, geese, and swans.  I wonder if anyone has any theories about this.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT