[CT Birds] Four O'Clock Fork-tailed Flycatcher

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 17:09:54 EST 2013

From Dan, Trudy, Emily, and Danny Rottino:
12/9/13--Lyme, Hadlyme Ferry Slip - 3:55-4:08pm; 1 FORK-TAILED FLYCATCHER.  First seen flying from a low perch at the far end of the parking lot through the length of the lot to a low tree branch at the entrance.  It is still here tonight!

Flycatcher Forecast:  The weather is turning much colder tonight, but in my opinion, I would expect the bird to be seen tomorrow morning.  I think it won't be seen much once the snow starts, or if/when the snow actually becomes heavy later in the day, so the timing of any potential heavy snowfall is key.  Of course, I could be wrong so you must make your own choices.  Although we have seen it daily for the past 9 days, it was more difficult during times of marginal weather conditions, such as cold fog and rain.  After several days of below freezing temps, we just don't know if it will survive or move on.  Thus far, this bird has had nights of freezing temps, and even a light freezing rain, but each day had warmed to above freezing.  It's the best I can do, I hope this helps those traveling in to see it.  I certainly wish the long-tailed wonder well in the next few days.

Bird.
Eat.
Sleep.
Repeat.