[CT Birds] Audubon New York Snowy Owl Alert with Contact Info

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Dec 9 18:22:24 EST 2013

Here is the alert that was sent to advocates in New York.   This includes contact information to help make your voice heard as an alternative to the petition and a sample message:
You may be aware of news stories today about the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PA) ordering lethal control of Snowy Owls at JFK International Airport. We need your help in urging the Port Authority to consider non-lethal means of controlling these majestic and important birds.
We understand the need to protect airline and passenger safety. We believe there are non-lethal control strategies that are equally effective, including trapping and releasing, and have been used successfully at other airports, including Logan Airport in Boston.
As JFK International Airport is operated by the Port Authority, we encourage you to consider reaching out to the PA's media relations office at 212-435-7777, sending a fax to 212-435-4032, or reaching out to Patrick Foye, the PA's Executive Director at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, 225 Park Avenue South, New York, NY 10003.
Your message:
I strongly urge a non-lethal strategy to Snowy Owl control be instituted at JFK International Airport.
Typically an Artic bird, Snowy Owls tend to move south into the Northeast during the winter when food availability in other parts of their range is low. This year a larger than normal influx of Snowy Owls have been reported in the region with many sightings over their preferred foraging habitat: large open fields. Thank you for helping to make sure these owls are protected.
Thank you for all you do,

Erin Crotty
Executive Director

Patrick M. Comins