[CT Birds] F T Flycatcher notes regarding its winter migration

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Tue Dec 10 14:01:47 EST 2013

With a little research regarding this Flycatcher, there are four
subspecies. It appears that the southern-most subspecies are the ones
that migrate north. One of the four subspecies comes from the area
listed below. Note- Patagonia and Central Argentina....these areas get
quite cold. When insects become scarce, it feeds on berries and small
fruit...just what we all saw it doing when it wasn't successful with
small flies and that rather large beetle! I am confident this bird
will figure out what it needs to do!

Tyrannus savana savana Native to central, south and southeastern
Brazil (Rondônia and southern Mato Grosso east to Tocantins and
southern Piauí, south to Mato Grosso do Sul, Minas Gerais, Rio de
Janerio and Rio Grande do Sul), northern and eastern Boliva, Paraguay,
Argentina - south to Río Negro, sometimes to northeastern Chubut and
Patagonia) and Uruguay.

Keith Mueller