[CT Birds] Survival of Fork-tailed Flycatcher

Christopher Lovell ctlovell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 15:56:58 EST 2013

" The Prime Directive dictates that there can be no interference with the
internal development of alien civilizations."

Anyone who is a fan of Star Trek will recognize "The Prime Directive."

We can carry this thought to birds rather than alien civilizations and
apply it to these winter hummingbirds, the Fork-tailed Flycatcher, the
Snowy Owls and any other species for that matter. I believe that "we" have
to trust that nature knows what she is doing. I believe that for "us" to
intervene on the behalf of *individual birds who belong to species that
are otherwise stable and not in danger of extinction,* discounts millions
and millions of years of evolution and natural selection.

I think that we have to resist the temptation to save everything because we
might not like the outcome.

Just my thoughts.

Chris Lovell