[CT Birds] Survival of Fork-tailed Flycatcher

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Tue Dec 10 16:22:45 EST 2013

I agree with that!

I keep going back to something I have always believed and constantly
say, which was also reiterated by Dave Provencher the other day. "I
think it
is a mistake to try and interpret an animal's behavior using human logic or
human behavior patterns". Perfectly stated!

Just because we are cold doesn't mean the bird is! We look at the
perceived long migration route this bird has endured and will have to
repeat in reverse under harsher circumstances and our hearts sink. To
us we feel it can never be accomplished now because of the cold
weather. I say, why not? If there are poison ivy and other berries
here in CT, than I assume they are also on Long Island, and in New
Jersey, and Maryland, Virginia, Carolinas, etc! And the farther south
this bird travels, the potential for bug protein in its diet also
increases! I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet! In fact, I
am not the least bit concerned!

Call me a dreamer......but I am not the only one! :^)

Keith Mueller