[CT Birds] Survival of the Fork-tailed Flycatcher

Tom de Boor tomdb2 at aol.com
Tue Dec 10 17:21:07 EST 2013

A question, mainly for the folks who feel "nature should take its course."
 Would you feel any differently if you knew that Fork-tailed Flycatchers
were showing up in the US because of human impacts on the environment?  I'm
not saying this is what's going on--there seem to be a lot more reports of
them than there were when I was a kid, but I don't know how much of this is
the result of greater awareness and an increase in the number and
sophistication of birders.  But given how pervasive man's impact has
become, to the point where many scientists have decided we've entered into
a new age, the Anthropocene, the possibility is not easily dismissed.   And
if we *are* the reason these birds are showing up, and we're the part of
"nature" that's responsible for this bird being here, is it "nature's"
course to let it die, or to rescue it?

I also wonder about the distinction between healthy and injured birds.  In
theory, I agree that as long as the FTF is healthy, we should let it ply
its wares, but birds are so quicksilver..how often have we seen a bird that
seemed to be OK literally disappear overnight (e.g. if there's a cold snap)
before giving any indication that it needs to be rescued?

Tom de Boor
Northford, CT