[CT Birds] Snowy Owls: putting this year's record breaking numbers in CT and elsewhere into perspective

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 19:46:51 EST 2013

I saw my first snowy owl in Brooklyn (west of Spring Creek, a few miles
west of "Idlewild Airport") in 1959 with my old friend Tom Davis. We were
ecstatic and considered that a rare find.

Yesterday all Brooklyn snowy owl records were broken by very wide margins,
when the Kings County (Brooklyn NYBR) CBC PRELIMINARY results for December
14th show FIFTEEN snowy owls, which is FOUR TIMES the previous record (of
four from 1937). That's not a 4% increase, but a 400% increase over the
previous high number on this historic CBC circle which has been run almost
all years since its inception on Christmas day December 25, 1905!

Perhaps we need to invest more scientific research into better
understanding of the mechanisms which caused this "hundred year" irruption.

Tom Robben
Glastonbury CT