[CT Birds] Snowy Owl Petition

Janis LaPointe sunbirdjan at cox.net
Tue Dec 10 09:26:23 EST 2013

The events of yesterday dramatically showed how effective forwarding letters from environmental organizations to officials can be.     Negative attention was drawn to the NY Port Authority, including major TV news reports.     CBS Boston coverage included the humane practice of Logan Airport, Boston saving both the planes and owls.    Showing the public these beautiful, majestic birds was a winning strategy.     Imagine the public outrage if someone was shooting pandas  (hypothetically).      This story had that kind of impact.    I follow both Massbird and CTBirds.  I'm sure many people from both lists participated in signing the petition.   Along with many from other birders pages.     Thank you to the leaders who responded quickly and got this petition moving.   It worked.
Janis LaPointe
Enfield, CT