[CT Birds] F T Flycatcher notes regarding its winter migration

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Dec 10 14:16:45 EST 2013

Thanks Keith.  I was going to point out that this bird is likely to be hardier than you think it might.   It does illustrate the potential advantages of letting Virginia creeper, pokeweed and (in the more remote spots) poison ivy grow in your yard or local parks.  You never know what might show up to take advantage of the food source!

I also wouldn't underestimate her ability to turn around and fly right back to South America on her own (assuming she's a her based on the plumage).   As to her ability to fly the right direction it may be another story, but the distance shouldn't be a problem.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road