[CT Birds] Snowy Stratford Birding (Rail / Horned Larks)

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sat Dec 14 14:27:43 EST 2013

Somehow I thought today was Stratford's CBC and kept a list when I went out looking.  Good practice for next week  LOL    Considering the snow I did pretty good.

Birdseye Boat Ramp 7:30a
1 Clapper Rail (he's there often - look just before mouth of affluent stream or just past waterfall)
1 Northern Harrier
1 Belted Kingfisher
11 Coots
6 Gadwall
10 Mallards
8 Black Duck
14+ Green Winged Teals
3 American Gold Finch
2 Cardinals
2 Dozen+ RIng Billed Gulls
5 Herring Gulls
1 Great Black Backed Gull

Frash Pond 8:15a
25+ Buffleheads
2 Greater Black Backed Gulls
12+ Herring Gulls
3 Cormorants
5 Canvas Backs (FOS for me!)
3 Greater Scaup
16 Mergansers
60is Canada Geese
4 Swans (2 Juveniles)
20+ Starlings

Pond on Private Property (Access Road)  8;50
1 Adult Black Crowned Night Heron
3 Juvenile Black Crowned Night Herons
2 American Crows
1 Downy Woodpecker

Long Beach Blvd 9:15a
Behind the Warehouses:
12+ Song Sparrows
8 American Golden Finch
2 Robins
12 Starlings
8 White Throated Sparrows
1 Downy Woodpecker
3 large flocks of Canada Geese flew over

Behind the Staples/Buckley Warehouses near back pond 9:45a
1 Carolina Wren
3 White Throated Sparrows
2 Fox Sparrows
1 Downy Woodpecker
4 Junco
8 Robins  (Trees with fruit still)
12+ Starlings
Medium Size Hawk in Tree (flew off before I could ID but think Merlin from tail/size)

Lordship Blvd/Airport  10:30a
Good number of Buffleheads and Mergansers in marsh streams
3 Horned Larks at Airport
7 Mourning Doves
1 Northern Harrier

7 White Throated Sparrows
8 Song Sparrows

Long Beach 11:10a - 12:30p
1 large raft 50+ Common Goldeneye
1 smaller group of 25 Common Goldeneye
75 +/- Sanderling/Dunlin (mostly Sanderling)
A lot further done beach I couldn't ID
5 Great Black Backed Gulls (2 1st year)
100+ Herring Gulls (various ages)
50ish Ring Billed Gulls