[CT Birds] Speaking of Boreal Chickadees...

Jonah Cohen jonahc at cox.net
Wed Dec 18 12:43:47 EST 2013

So, we've all seen this amusing-but-flawed rant, yes?
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/05/state_bird_improvements_replace_cardinals_and_robins_with_warblers_and_hawks.1.html

You could make a case for Common Loon or Atlantic Puffin, but if I was Global Dictator, I'd go with Boreal Chickadee as Maine's state bird.

(Other snafus in this guy's arguments: He disses the Willow Ptarmigan by saying they sound like aliens from the cantina scene in Star Wars --- that makes them even cooler! Flamingo for Florida instead of Florida Scrub Jay? Seriously? I'd ok Northern Cardinal for Virginia - didn't they used to be named after Virginia? And boy, did he whiff on the suggestion for Connecticut!)

More power to the Chickadees,
Jonah Cohen
Newington