[CT Birds] Lapland Longspurs - Rocky Hill Meadows

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Fri Dec 20 13:48:55 EST 2013

With all the sightings of Rough-leggeds along the coast I decided to check RH Meadows today to see if any were there.   Thought I had one when I saw a hawk with a dark belly band fly into a tree, but when I took a better look at the digiscoped photos I took, it was just a juv Red-tailed Hawk with a very dark chest band.  I did get 4 LAPLAND LONGSPURS in a flock of Horned Lark at the left corner of Great Meadow Rd.  I spotted them at a distance in the gated driveway to a hunting area, then they flushed and settled right up close to the gate giving good views.  Later flushed into the corn stubble, never to be seen again.  Also had a first year juv. Bald Eagle.

Jack Swatt
Wolcott