[CT Birds] Winter Wren question

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sun Dec 22 11:44:19 EST 2013

Yesterday during a Christmas count, I came across a wren so pale that my lying eyes insisted on calling it a House Wren, but my incredulous brain told me it had to be a Winter Wren.  To complicate matters, it was skulking in a marsh.  Via the miracle of technology (my iPod), I induced it to sing -- it perched six feet from my head and belted out the Winter   Wren's song.

The ID cleared up, I'd like to know whether anyone can tell me:  are juvenile Winter Wrens noticeably paler than adults, or is there simply a color gradient in the eastern population?

(North Granby is outside the Hartford CBC circle, so I participate in the Cobble Mountain CBC, which straddles the MA/CT line.)

Other birds of note yesterday in North Granby:

Cooper's Hawk
Screech-Owl
Great Horned Owls (pair)
Barred Owls 5