[CT Birds] BC Chickadee population

twomirers at comcast.net twomirers at comcast.net
Tue Dec 17 15:55:54 EST 2013

My personal observation concurs with that of others that the BC Chickadee population here is in decline. My lone observation is not useful, but when many observers-and spring census and Christmas bird counts concur (do they?-I don’t know that)-then perhaps we have a trend. If memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn’t), Sylvia Halkin’s speculation is that competition between this species and Tufted Titmouse is a possible mechanism for this population shift.

Rob Mirer

I just saw on the NYSbirds-L list that the CBC parties in Central Park saw exactly1 chickadee! I don't know what the norm is, but in the 80s and early 90s I did the Lower Hudson count (of which Central Park is part), and I don't remember anything like that coming from those teams back then.

So, maybe the chickadee numbers are down.