[CT Birds] BC Chickadees

Kateri Kosek katrose at frontiernet.net
Tue Dec 17 22:25:20 EST 2013

I have a good number of chickadees at my feeder here in the Northwest corner as well.  Probably 4 or 5 at a time.
One Tree Sparrow this past week. It's very vocal and regularly flies up onto the tube feeder, even though there are seeds on the ground--a little odd to see a sparrow on a hanging feeder.

There also seem to be a large number of goldfinches. Someone called in to the bird show on NPR last week with that observation, and the host suggested that goldfinch populations can be somewhat irruptive in the winter. I've seen no other winter finches except one female Purple Finch last Sunday.

-Kateri Kosek
Falls Village, CT