[CT Birds] Chickadee chatter

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 18 12:28:02 EST 2013

Great posts.  I admit, I too have seen fewer Chickadees lately.  But I'm convinced that having a couple fewer Chickadee at my backyard feeder, may not mean necessarily mean a crash of the entire Holarctic population.

Here's a slight change of subject.  I've commented before about hand-feeding Chickadees sunflower seeds.  There are spots where Titmice, WB Nuthatches and even Downy Woodpeckers are hand-fed.  For example at Morton NWR (Sag Harbor, NY), frequent feeding by multiple visitors occurs along the nature trails.

But Chickadees are the "easiest".  With some patience and a slight ache to a static, extended shoulder, Chickadees will readily eat out of your hand.

Steve Mayo