[CT Birds] Chickadees

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Thu Dec 19 09:55:39 EST 2013

The Hartford CBC recorded 330 chickadees which is very much a ten year low.  The ten year average on the CBC (2003-2012) is 705 chickadees.  HOWEVER, the Count was conducted in a snowstorm on December 14th and coverage, especially of chickadee strongholds in the woodlands and reservoir lands, was down considerably from previous years.  It will be interesting to hear from other CBC compilers on this topic.

As a counterpoint to this conversation, our feeding station at Roaring Brook Nature Center in Canton is loaded with chickadees.  I haven't seen as many in years.

Jay Kaplan