[CT Birds] Stratford Birding

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sat Dec 21 18:05:13 EST 2013

Birdseye Boat Ramp 7:40 a.m.
1 Juvenile Iceland Gull on dock rail and then flew off to top of Sewage Treatment Building with other gulls
1 Norther Harrier
5 Gold Finch
11 Coot
1 King Fisher
6 Green Wing Teals
6 Junco
1 Blue jay
1 Male Cardinal
1 Mocking Bird
! Killdeer
12+ Starlings

Frash Pond 8:30
24+ Starlings
40 Canada Geese
12 Buffleheads
10 Canvas Backs
12 Hooded Mergansers
Family of 6 Swans

Access Road Pond (Private property) 8:50
1 adult Black Crowned Night Heron

Long Beach Blvd.  Warehouse/Marshes 9:00
3 Cardinals
1 Northern Flicker
1 Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
3 House Finch
8 Starling
5 Robins
2 Downy Wood Peckers
3 American Crows

Behind Buckley Building
4 Junco
1 Mocking Bird
1 Carolina Wren
1 Fox Sparrow (there have been 3 previously but the one with no tail feathers is the only one seen today)
Flock of 20ish Canada Geese flew over head

Marshes along airport   9:45
1 Great Blue Heron
3 Buffleheads

Long Beach 10:00
2 Snowy Owls (I also got a pellet from the one near the red house. He had coughed it up around noon-1 and went back to the beach a few times to see if he was still there and finally just after shooting the sunset  he flew off toward the marshes I retrieved it.  I will be sure the appropriate people get it so they can dissect it)
25ish Common GoldenEye
75ish Sanderling/Dunlin
50ish Herring  Gull
200+ Ring Billed (parking lot to Pleasure Beach)
2 Ipswich Sparrows

1 Dark Morph Rough Leg Hawk seen around 1:30 p.m. in trees near runway as well as 1 Red Tail Hawk a few trees down
15 Horned Larks in Airport
7 Mourning Doves
8 Canada Geese

Donna Caporaso