[CT Birds] The Old Year

Jonah Cohen jonahc at cox.net
Mon Dec 23 13:00:00 EST 2013

"... January First makes all things anew. All the birds tallied last year are gone by the boards. Everyone faces a clean slate. All birds, no matter how common, become new again.
Let us all have a great new Year.."

..paraphrased from "the Feather Quest.. By Pete Dunne

Hmm, he sounds like a Jets fan  :)

Anyway, as 2013 winds down, Bill's forward-thinking quote brings up a key point: how was your birding year?

For my part... highlights certainly included seeing one of the Snowy Owls + the Fork-tailed Flycatcher in the space of a week, and a whole lot of ducks (including the Eurasian Teal) last spring at the Portland Fairgrounds. Managed a couple of species who had eluded me in recent years (Worm-eating Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler), and of course, Cerulean Warbler remained elusive.

Outside of CT, I traveled to Maine (lots of nice sea-birds) and New Mexico (lots of nice western birds). Let's be honest: Atlantic Puffins look like flying footballs, and Roadrunners look like psychotic chickens. (Also, not sure which was odder: lobster ice cream in bar Harbor, or green chile ice cream in Albuquerque; I did not buy either one.) And my life list topped 400.

I hope the year was a good one for all of you, as well. Much thanks the ctbird for all of your assistance in bird-questing, and good luck in 2014.

Jonah Cohen
Newington