[CT Birds] Stratford Kumlien's Gull/hybrid gull/Glaucous Gull

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Tue Dec 24 13:52:12 EST 2013

A quick note..the bird returning from last year..which despite its large size fit Kumlien's Gull in my mind rather than the purported theories of it being a hybrid or a Glaucous Gull, was present this morning.
This year, to help the identification, it returned sporting typical dusky webs to the outer primaries typical of a 2nd-winter Kumlien's Gull. I think its large size is a red-herring since size in gulls is so variable. The bird's structure, wing pattern and bill size and shape are perfectly Kumlieni and there's no reason, in my mind to invite more complex theories into its identification. Hopefully between Christmas cheer I can post photos to my blog. But..if you want to see a Glaucous Gull don't go to Stratford. :) Happy Hils to everyone!