[CT Birds] OK so whats up with these Bluejays?

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 24 16:21:36 EST 2013

OK so whats up with these Bluejays? I make my own great suet for the birds, but when i put one out in the bottom type feeder - I built - the Jays get to it and don't know when to stop eating from it! A cake is gone in less than two days! If this isn't bad enough - I offer raw peanuts in the shell from a feeder I made where the birds need to crack them through the wooden bars or lift them up to an opening at the top where they can extract them. So now the Jays found this, and so guess what? It holds maybe 50 plus whole nuts, and they cleaned it out in AN HOUR !! I watched 3 jays take one in throat and another in bill, and fly off to HIDE THEM ! They did this till they were all gone. I watched them fly off in all directions, hide them, then return for MORE ! What pigs ! They just can not accept a surplus of food in one spot. They need to gather and hide it all till the source is depleted ! So no other birds can share in the bounty. Sure reminds me of some
 people I know.................

Good news is - my Red shouldered Hawks are staying the winter once again. I am now alert to any road kills I see for a food source. No Skunks nor Cats though. Plenty of Gray Squirrels however.
Paul Carrier - Harwinton