[CT Birds] late Hammonasett SUnday sightings and cedar pruner question

Don Crockett doncrockett63 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 16:30:44 EST 2013

Went to Hammonassett on Sunday and didn't see any raptors or hear of anyone
seeing raptors there.

Had 3 Snow Buntings in one of the parking lots and saw a flock of 30 or so
birds fly over the Nature Center parking lot that assume were so combo of
Horned Larks or Bunting but I didn't get a good look.

Under one of the cedar (white/red?) trees in the northeast corner of the
three roads section of Willard's Island, there was a "carpet" of 1-3 inch
"prunings." I think I remember my dad saying way back that something
similar to this was caused by an insect grub? There's a clean diagonal
slice where the end was cut on the two prunings I collected. Anyone
familiar with who the pruner was?

                                      Don

--
---------
"People say believe half of what you see, son, and none of what you hear."

Don Crockett
Great Blue Media Works - http://greatblue.com
West Hartford, CT