Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Tue Dec 24 18:06:53 EST 2013

Hi All and Dan, the bird you mention, known by some as Mr. Long Beach, was first spotted by me on 1/14/2013 at Long Beach and there was a lot of debate over his true identity both here and on the North American Gulls Facebook page.  The experts on that page, with a lot of experience with Glaucous and Iceland, all weighed in and felt the bird was a supersized Iceland.  I watched him every chance I could hoping to snag a feather to put the debate to rest but no luck.  Interesting to note that several comments about the bird mentioned if he was found somewhere else he might be IDed more as a Glaucous than Iceland or as a possible hybrid.   While some of us weren't convinced he was strictly Iceland, that is where we ended the discussion in May.  Both Patrick Commins and Keith Mueller have seen the bird and saw the discussions.  I would watch him at least once a week and like Keith, took many photos.  Keith and I posted him again on North American Gulls this week calling him an Iceland and no one commented challenging that ID.  He/she is large, last year the photos showed the bird almost twice the size of some of the Herrings but still Iceland is what the majority rules.  Perhaps if he returns every year and we watch him mature we will be able to put a positive ID on him.

He is a beautiful bird!

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT