[CT Birds] Black-headed Gull Stonington Point 12/25

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 25 18:10:36 EST 2013

The adult nonbreeding Black-headed Gull that has been seen at Barn Island (I'm
assuming it is the same Black-headed Gull.) was at Stonington Point today from
12:30-1:00.  It was actively feeding right in the middle of 40 Red-breasted
Mergansers within 100 feet of the shore.  Also, 5 distant Common
Eider.  I'll attach a few photos of the gull on my ebird report.  I also checked Barn
Island in Stonington, Ender's Island in Mystic, and Eastern Point in Groton with
nothing rare.  Hank Golet already noted the Snowy Owl we saw at Great Island in
Old Lyme.

Tim Antanaitis
Middletown