[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities in January

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Thu Dec 26 09:35:55 EST 2013

Happy New Year, Folks.

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during January:

Indoor Meetings:

January 9, 7:00 pm. Deborah Allen,  “Birding Central Park”. Whitney
Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and
open to the public. Explore the birds of Central Park with wildlife
photographer and researcher Deborah Allen.  New York City's Central
Park is internationally recognized as one of the best places to
observe migratory birds in spring and fall. More than 280 species of
birds have been recorded for Central Park, with more than 200
expected annually.  We’ll take a look at some of the park's avian
visitors, everything from warblers and tanagers to hawks and owls, as
well as some nesting birds, including Red-eyed Vireo, Baltimore
Oriole, Wood Thrush, and American Kestrel. The talk will include tips
on when and where to find birds in Central Park. Deborah, a
photographer who specializes in the birds of New York City, has had
her bird photos published in numerous publications. A bird tour
leader and former president of The Linnaean Society of NY, she is
author of  Let's Investigate Puffins, a children's book. She now is
working on a bird guide for Central Park.  Social half-hour at 7:00,
program begins at 7:30.  For more information:
www.newhavenbirdclub.org or 203-230-1697.

“Birds in Words” Book Group.  January 30, 7:00 p.m.  Free and open to
the public.  Discussion of Moonbird: A Year on the Wind with the
Great Survivor B95 by Phillip Hoose.  Meet at Whitney Center, 200
Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden. Contact Kris Johnson,
kriswaxwing99 at snet.net, 203-288-3087.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk : Sherwood Island St. Park, Westport.
Wednesday, January 8, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.  Enjoy a
mid-week trip to this fine birding spot on Long Island Sound at Exit
18 of I-95. We will check the Sound for loons, goldeneye, grebes, and
other sea ducks. The park’s fields are a good place to look for
Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, and sparrows. Meet at the main parking
lot in the park. Leader—Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com

Stratford/Milford Birding Tour.   Sunday, January 12, 7:30 am.   Free
and open to the public. Today we visit the marshes and beaches in
Stratford and Milford.  We’ll be looking for sea ducks including
scoters, scaup, loons and grebes, gulls, raptors, and shorebirds.
Meet at the commuter lot on Schoolhouse Road in Milford just south of
Exit 35 on I-95.
Leader—Chris Loscalzo: 203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven