[CT Birds] Stratford stuff 2

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 26 17:49:27 EST 2013

12/26  Stratford - I did some birding around town, mostly coastal, and saw about 53 species, with these highlights, including 3 different ICELAND GULLS:
- Short Beach - SNOWY OWL (on offshore breakwater. I let 3 women with NJ plates view it through scope), ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK (light morph hunting old landfill), Field Sparrow, 2 Swamp Sparrows.
- Stratford Point - RAZORBILL flying by offshore, 3 White-winged Scoters.
- Birdseye Boat ramp - 1st-cycle ICELAND GULL.
- Long Beach - large 2nd-cycle ICELAND GULL. I agree with Julian's assessment as to species, based on dark outer webs to outer primaries, long primary projection, etc.
- Lordship Seawall - Adult ICELAND GULL. Beautiful bird near Marnick's Restaurant; I suspect it's the same individual that has been returning to the area for seven (?) years now.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford