[CT Birds] CBC Help Please!!!

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 23 20:31:41 EST 2013

Where exactly, and when, did you do your birding?

Unfortunately, in spite of the small size of  CT, only a small proportion of our State is covered by CBC count circles.  I don't do math in public, (and apologies to Democritus, Ahmes, Anaxagaras, Archimedes, et al) but a CBC count circle is 7.5 miles from center, so that's like 176 square miles.  It's still a lot of turf, especially when you are trying to arrange coverage for an entire CBC.

Also, different CBCs are covered on different dates. The Count "week" (for birds not seen on the actual day of the count) occurs 3 days before and 3 days after, the Count Day.  The NAS CBC is held from 12/14/2013 to 1/5/14. For example, due to a foul weather postponement, Connecticut's last CBC is Oxford, on 1/5/14.

Let us know exactly where you birded and if applicable, I'll direct you to an appropriate CBC Count and compiler.

Best Regards,

Steve Mayo