[CT Birds] Update on the Snowy Owl found dead at Stratford

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Dec 23 22:45:10 EST 2013

Today I talked to the person who found the Snowy Owl dead at  Long Beach
last Monday, and I know there has been some curiosity about it. It  was found
more or less in the middle of beach (between ocean and bay). It was  quite a
ways down, perhaps half a mile or more, right in the old roadway which  is
now a sandy strip.
When found it appeared to be freshly dead, and there were no  obvious
injuries. No sign whatsoever that it had been shot or otherwise harmed.  It was
not near  a tree or other perch it might have fallen from. Perhaps  it just
landed there and died of natural causes. Unlike the bird rescued Sunday  the
plumage was in pristine condition, no oily dirt and not matted or wet.
The bird was taken home and frozen, then turned over to Dr.  Margaret
Rubega at Uconn and put in their specimen freezer. As best we know it  has not
yet been examined or otherwise processed as of yet.

Don  Morgan