[CT Birds] Napatree CBC, 22 Dec 2013

Shaibal Mitra Shaibal.Mitra at csi.cuny.edu
Tue Dec 24 11:28:46 EST 2013

The Napatree CBC was conducted for the twelfth year on Sunday, 22 December 2013. The 31 participants were divided into nine territories in southeastern Connecticut and southwestern Rhode Island.

Although most freshwater was frozen and observers were hampered by fog, mist, and occasional rain, we recorded 129 species.

Among the many highlights were the following species, recorded on fewer than half of previous counts:

Snow Goose (Weekapaug)
2 Harlequin Ducks (Watch Hill Light)
2 Lesser Scaup (Weekapaug, migrating over ocean)
Pacific Loon (Watch Hill Light)
Clapper Rail (Stonington 1)
5 Ruddy Turnstones (Napatree Pt)
Black-headed Gull (Stonington 2)
3 Iceland Gulls (Stonington 1 and Misquamicut)
3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls (Misquamicut and Watch Hill Light)
Black Guillemot (Watch Hill Light)
Thick-billed Murre (Misquamicut)
Dovekie (Quonochontaug)
2 Eastern Screech-Owls (Stonington 1)
4 Snowy Owls (RI shore)
Common Raven (Ashaway)
House Wren (Stonington 2)
7 Palm Warblers (Stonington 2, Misquamicut, Weekapaug)
Nelson's Sparrow (Quonochontaug)
2 White-crowned Sparrows (Watch Hill, Misquamicut)

We also tallied 3 Saw-whet Owls, 3 Marsh Wrens, and a Yellow-breasted Chat--regionally notable species that we have never missed on this circle, as well as good numbers of some Napatree CBC specialties, such as 6 Red-shouldered Hawks, 8 Black Vultures, 12 Sapsuckers, 14 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and 54 Fox Sparrows.

Our worst misses were Green-winged Teal, Wild Turkey, Pied-billed Grebe, Snipe, Long-eared Owl (recorded on 8 of 11 previous counts!), Phoebe, and Chipping Sparrow.

Shai Mitra
Kingston, RI & Bay Shore, NY

The Campaign for CSI: For College and Community<http://www.csi.cuny.edu/foundation/>