[CT Birds] Stratford Sandhill Crane

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Dec 24 15:50:44 EST 2013

The message below just came in from Matthew Caligiure along with a couple of photographs of a Sandhill Crane.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Hi Ron,

I'm a visiting birder from Santa Barbara, CA familiar with your posts on the CT birding news site.

My brother-in-law, Frank Labbate (a CT local) was at Long Beach this morning (Dec. 24, 10 am)
locating and photographing the Snowy Owl there.  During his walk he snapped several photos of a mysterious/intermediate Heron/Crane type species.

Can you or your network shed any light on this bird.  We assume that a Sandhill Crane i.d. would an exciting bird for this locale, but don't want to jump to any conclusions.

To us, the plumage, reddish eye, and general stature point more towards a SC, instead of a oddly plumaged GBH.

Attached is a picture of a picture.  We are working on pulling more photos from
the camera to be evaluated, but are waiting on the right connection

A better description of the photo location:  Oak Bluff Ave, in wetland
area on the right hand side, directly before entering Long Beach Parking lot.

Matt and Frank