kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Tue Dec 24 18:40:25 EST 2013

Thanks for finding this Gull Donna...it certainly has initiated some
great debate. But if I may add just a small correction or two....I
still believe (with a few others) that this Gull is a hybrid Iceland x
Glaucous, and others feel it might be another possible hybrid, maybe
Glaucous x Herring, Herring x Iceland....who knows? It is true that
many on the FB Gulls page thought it was OK for a large Kumlien's, but
there were also a few that were a little skeptical and one comment by
a well-known Gull authority that stated he didn't see any reason for
it being a Kumlien's. But one thing is for sure, only a few of us have
experienced the Gull first hand to form our opinions. Photos are not a
good tool to identify a very unusual Gull. I have always stated unless
you are there experiencing every aspect and specie trait of the bird,
watching its behavior and seeing it blink its eye lids...its just a
flat bird image on a flat computer screen subject to all the digital
proportion flaws and pixelated abnormalities. I guess if you want the
bird to be a large Iceland Gull, than it is a large Iceland Gull. If
you see something in the bird that makes you believe it is a hybrid
Gull, than it is a hybrid Gull. Everyone has an opinion, and one thing
is for sure....they are just opinions. The one truth is that with the
exception of God and Mother Nature, no one person really knows what
this Gull really is....its just an opinion.

Merry Christmas!

Keith Mueller