[CT Birds] Hammonasset Highlights

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 26 19:08:25 EST 2013

From Dan Rottino:
12/26/13--Madison, Hammonasset Beach SP- 3 FOX SPARROWS in campground, 1 PEREGRINE FALCON off Cedar Island platform.  1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR together with a mixed flock of 41 Horned Lark and 3 SNOW BUNTING smack dab in the middle of the nature center parking lot.  This is one of the few times I have seen all 3 of these CT winter treats together.

That combined with 9 tree sparrows made for a nice visit.  The Lapland is almost always with the larks but once I saw it with buntings only, and several times by itself.  The best strategy is to find the lark flock, and then scan for the longspur(s).  The fox sparrows were uncooperative as far as I am concerned, but others have had better sightings.  Lots of light colored robins but no Leucistic bird today, and also some with darker characteristics so I know these migrants came from afar.  No monks and no clay coloreds.

Dan Rottino
East Haddam