[CT Birds] Rocky Hill Meadows - Ipswich Savannah Sparrow

Bill Asteriades bill.asteriades at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 09:28:47 EST 2013

This past weekend I observed a pale looking Savannah Sparrow feeding in a
corn field in Rocky Hill Meadows with several other Savannah Sparrows (2nd
left turn on Great Meadow Road via access from Ferry Landing - unable to
relocate). It stood out amongst the Savannahs similar to a Hoary Redpoll
amongst Common Redpolls. I immediately thought Ipswich but recognized how
rare inland sightings are. Thus, I forwarded pictures to Julian, Nick and
Mark for their thoughts. Their opinions (thanks guys!), and not necessarily
in order, are - yes, an Ipswich, probably an Ipswich and I think so but may
not be identifiable. At this point, I will stay with Ipswich unless further
information is available.  A couple of pictures are available via the link
below. These pictures have not been edited other than cropping.

12/21/13 - Rocky Hill Meadows, Rocky Hill - IPSWICH SAVANNAH SPARROW (rare
inland sighting). Always seen walking or running, which is typical of
Ipswich sparrows, and never hopped as their counterparts do.

Bill Asteriades
South Glastonbury, CT