[CT Birds] Robins galor and more!

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 27 15:40:09 EST 2013

Today went out to do some birding. I encountered a spot where birds were everywhere, esp Robins in great numbers. Were they moving through? I felt they were because they were not here yesterday. I saw them on a 20 plus acre area on Leadmine brook Rd and North Rd in Harwinton. I was interested in what they were eating so i did some looking for an hr. First though i saw countless Robins - 1,000 plus and more, and added 50+ Bluebird, 20 Cedar Waxwing, Song Sps, some Junco and others as well. This area is an open wetland with Leadmine brook running through it. I listed the berries they were eating below, and who was eating them:

Winterberry -Robin, Bluebird -  by far the most popular prolific berry being eaten! Many bushes here.
Bittersweet (non native) - Rob, Blue, Waxwing
Rosehip (non native) - Rob, 1 Mockingbird - very uncommon now in Harwinton.
Apple, Crab and domestic - Rob
Sumac - Blue, Rob, 1 Crow
Cedar Red - Wax, Rob
Poison Ivy - Robin, eating from top of large trees. at least 10 at all time with many more perched near going to and from.

On another Rd a mile away I saw a steady stream of Robin flying over the rd counting 200 before I left. Were are all these Robins coming from, or going?

Paul Carrier - Harwinton