[CT Birds] Injured Long Beach Snowy

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sat Dec 28 18:11:08 EST 2013

I haven't seen an email from the list today so I'm don't know if this has been reported or not.

Today at Long Beach there was talk of photographer baiting the owls (not able to confirm, none of the people there saw that happening) and of a Snowy with either an injured leg or something hanging from it.  Before I got to see the bird on Long Beach/Pleasure Beach it had flown across the Gut to the Mc\Kinney NWR  in the marshes opposite the last warehouse building.  Later while in that area I did not spot the Snowy.

I just received word from a birder:   Donna, I think he does have a broken leg. I was able to get some in flight shots, , the two legs are not together in flight and he seems to be not using one of the legs. I can send few of the pics over to you for review. I think it is better to let the Place of Hope folks help him/her.

I told him what  he did was the best thing to do and email APCH directly.

I am hoping tomorrow if that bird is spotted that people don't chase it down the beach as I have seen several people (with just snopes or just cameras) do.  The bird does not need to be taking flight and landing repeatedly.  If anyone should happen to see the bird please call APCH directly at 203-804-3453 or 203-214-2846.

Thank you,

ROY:  I cc'd you because I'm not getting posts from the group so I'm not sure if mine will go through.

Donna Caporaso

Stratford, CT