[CT Birds] Fw: [RI Birds] 12//28/13

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 28 21:39:01 EST 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "pollypie at att.net" <pollypie at att.net>
To: pollypie at att.net
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:34 PM
Subject: [RI Birds] 12//28/13

 From Bruce Kindseth, 12/28:
There was a PALM WARBLER on my Narragansett front
porch this morning.
 From Joe Koger, 12/28:
Today at Sachuest Wildlife Refuge, there were 3
SNOWY OWLS, 1 Horned Grebe, 1 Red-necked Grebe, 5 Common Goldeneyes, 15
Harlequin Ducks, 30 Purple Sandpipers, 127 Snow Buntings, 10 Surf Scoters, 1
Green-winged Teal, 12 Black Scoters, and 13 Buffleheads. In Warren
reservoir there were 25 Hooded Mergansers and 1 female NORTHERN SHOVELER.
In Pawtucket, there were 52 Gadwall and 2 Hooded Mergansers. At ASRI's
Touisset Wildlife Refuge, there was a SNOWY OWL on the bridge
 From Keith and Jen Mueller,
A few Highlights from today:
 - Scarborough
Beach south, 9:30 am- 1 (probably 2) adult BLACK-HEADED GULLS around the area of
the Treatment Plant discharge pipe.
Unfortunately, every time we had the
flock of Gulls come to the beach,
this out-of-control Golden Retriever which
was running loose up and
down the beach would scatter the flocks.
Unfortunately, the owner
thought it was amusing and did nothing to control
the dog for nearly
an hour. I am fairly confident at one time when the gull
flock was
being chased by the dog, I saw 2 Black-headed Gulls. They both
and flew west towards Pt. Judith Pond.
 - Galilee Harbor- 2
banded 1st cycle Great Black-backed Gulls wearing
Appledore Island black leg
 - Beavertail Point: raft of 600-650 seaducks mostly Black
Scoter, some
Surf and a few White-winged Scoter. 19 Harlequin and 200 Common
 - Off Fort Wetherill at the Marine Division dock- 1 Red-necked
 - From Cliff walk: 50 Scaup (mostly Lesser Scaup) and a possible
Pacific Loon. I saw the bird for a few moments before it dove. We
saw it surface. If anyone is in the area, it was just a few
yards north of
the 40 steps area. On a sad note- deceased small whale
on the rocks below 07
on the walk.
 From Carlos Pedro, 12/28:
Attached are 3 photos taken this morning at
Easton's Pond of 2 Great Blue Herons, an adult and a juvenile. No other