[CT Birds] Western Red-tail

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Sun Dec 29 11:28:25 EST 2013

Based on John's image, I was curious about Western Red-tails in the east, since I have seen several "dark-headed" birds at Lighthouse. Due to the variation in these birds across their range identifying Western birds out of context is fraught with uncertainty.

The photo of John's bird is quite striking, being infused with rust all over the head and underparts. I sent the image to a friend of mine who didn't have time to comment further but wanted to share his thoughts. "It's not a Western bird, but a borealis called "abieticola" or "northern borealis".

Julian Hough
New Haven, CT 06519