[CT Birds] Missed Birds, seen birds and other thoughts on 2013

Gina Nichol sunrisebirding at aol.com
Mon Dec 30 08:55:52 EST 2013

I hope it is OK to make this post.  I am a devotee of CTBirds, reading your posts regularly and adding to them when I can. I haven't spent enough time birding in Connecticut this year. Recent posts and year end reflection have me thinking, so here goes . . .

Missed birds in 2013
Yes, Tim it's frustrating, especially when it feels like everyone else is seeing these birds and you haven't.  If it makes you feel any better, I have not seen a Snowy Owl yet this year and think perhaps I am the only CT Birder that hasn't.  Fork-tailed Flycather in Haddam? Not for me in CT this year but I have great memories and photos of the one in Stamford a couple of years ago. Black-chinned Hummingbird, no!

Two things I always keep in mind.
--It is nature and not a zoo, and that's some of the fun in birding.
--My cup is half full, not half empty.  I enjoy and am grateful for every bird I see.

Recent sightings:
Yellow-billed Loon.  I saw one on Saturday - in Brixham, England at close range.  It's called Yellow-billed Diver on this side of the pond and it showed up about the same time as the recent Ivory Gull (not seen, yet!) and Thick-billed Murre over here.  I hope the bird in Stonington is a Yellow-billed!  Good Luck!

Black-headed Gull and Eurasian Wigeon?
These are common where I am for the next week or so!  Just like real estate it all comes down to location, location, location!

This thing called birding is such great fun and even more fun when we can share the experience and information.  Thanks for all of your posts that allow me to bird vicariously through you when I am not it Connecticut.   I wish you all a happy and very birdy 2014!

Gina Nichol
Branford, CT
(Plymouth, England at the moment!)

PS - True's Beaked Whale - WOW!  Holy cetacean! Though deceased, the fact that one was close enough to wash up on the New England shoreline is incredibly exciting.  (Haven't seen one, yet!) I think this is the second record in New England (both deceased).  As with many bird species, not much is known about its life history.

PSS - I can hear small violins in the playing in the background but don't feel too sorry for me for missing all these great birds that showed up in Connecticut this year. From a professional standpoint, my birding year has been amazing.  For anyone interested, it is summarized at http://www.sunrisebirding.com/2013Wrapup.htm